July 5, 2009

Ramblin Man

I've been away from my site on various errands and business since the beginning of June and plan to continue this trend until mid august. Apparently I've been getting too comfortable in my village because I seem to have forgotten the headaches that go along with living out of a bag and moving from place to place for months on end. Quite frankly I'm exhausted, and I'm barely half way through my travel marathon. Between a trip to Conakry for errand running and American food eating, a conference on HIV/aids prevention, and stint at the training facility assisting in the planning of the upcoming pre-service training I'm beat. I'm just counting down the days until I'll be back in my own hut with my own bed and my own schedule.

It seems to me that the grass is always greener is a philosophy that's quite directly applying to my life of late. Towards the end of the school year I was feeling a bit burnt out and was really looking forward to some time away to collect myself. But now that I've had that time I'm really missing my little corner of the world and I just want to get back and feel at home again. Although I'm sure once I get there I'll start turning my thoughts elsewhere again. Seems to be the story of my life.

On a more upbeat note the new training group is coming in three days and I'm excited to meet them all. It should be an interesting few weeks, anytime a new group of Americans comes to country it's cause for celebration. And what's more as soon as I leave training I'll be heading out to Ireland to meet up with my family. After a year away I'm just counting the days until I get to see them all again. It's going to be a nice little reunion. Not to mention some real westernized food.

Anyways I'm not sure what the moral of all this is but I guess I'll be thinking twice before I plan another stint of multiple months away from site. Not that I'll really have the chance again once school starts.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Hey, Jesse. I know what you mean. Living out of a suitcase is no picnic. No matter how humble, home base is so relaxing.
I suppose you know Jeff will be home tomorrow. We're so excited. It will be different for him without you guys around! Scattered all over the globe now. I guess he and Joe will have to have a token reunion and look forward to a year from now; actually, for Matt it's more like 1.5 years. But someday...
I really love reading your blog. Have a great time with your family. We'll be thinking about you.
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Jes,
We cant wait to see you! Less than four weeks away!!! Lots to talk about, lots of pictures to share and lots of beer drinking at the Irish pubs!!!

Love Ya,
Erin and Megan