September 17, 2008

Usually it makes hot, but now it makes cold

Just a quick update.

Right now everyone in training is on a 3 day trip to a town in the middle of Guinea. We're staying ensemble in a forrestry school in the mountains. We just got here but it's looking like the cool mountain air will be a nice little break from the hot humid weather that we get at the training site. The school itself is really secluded and overlooks the town from the top of a mountain, it's very monastaryesque.

Training is fast drawing to a close for me, which is exciting. PST (Pre Service Training) has been a great introduction to life in Guinea but I'm definitly ready to begin my service already. We leave for Conakry on the 24th for our swearing in ceremony at the U.S. Embassy and then I'll officially become a volunteer (as opposed to a trainee).

Hopefully I'll find some time in Conakry to jump on a computer and write a more substantial update but it might be a little tough, we're definitly going to be pressed for time when we get there. In addition to preparing for swearing in (I have to give a speech in Malinke at the ceremony) I also have to work out my banking situation and run around to various markets around the city buying supplies for my site.

I hope everyone's doing good and enjoying the onset of fall in New England. I've decided that although I miss everyone back home, and the food, and the cheese... Having different seasons (especially fall) is going to be one of the big things I'm going to miss during my time here. Oh well, enjoy it double for me. Next time you goto Raos pour out a coffee in my memory.

~Jesse

1 comment:

Paul said...

Hey Jesse,

I'm so jealous! You're in Haute Guinee...hope you get a hut instead of a tin roof house. Do you know if anyone is going to Timbo, Mamou...the village where I used to live.

Acutally, you've past right through it. On the road from Mamou to Dabola, if you are leaving Mamou, it's about 50km and it's settled in a little valley. They sell oranges, a lot of good ones, the best ones in Guinea!

I hope you're enjoying the end of stage and you're getting ready for your trek.

Peace,
Paul