October 16, 2009


Here's a short post just to let everyone know what's going on. I guess the situation in Guinea was a little more serious than I gave it credit for. About a week after the events of that news article I posted Peace Corps evacuated all the volunteers in the country to a training compound in Bamako, the capitol of Mali. So we've all been here since Oct 7th in a weird consolidated state of limbo. For the moment Peace Corps Washington is deliberating as to whether or not they are going to suspend the program in Guinea. While they're making a decision there's really nothing for us volunteers to do but sit and wait.

A lot is going into the decision but it seems that a lot is going to depend on whether or not the U.S. State Dept allows non-essential embassy personnel to renter the country (for the moment they've all been evacuated as well). I'm trying to remain hopeful that we'll be returning in the face of all this uncertainty but a lot of people I've talked to are of the mind set that we're not gonna be able to go back. We'll see I guess.

Anyways that's all I can say for the moment. Once I get more info about the situation I'll write up a post letting everyone know what's gonna happen. Until then we'll all just have to be patient.